by Dan Lizdas, Council President
Dear LCR members and friends,
As the days are getting shorter (and cooler), it is hard to believe that we will be celebrating Thanksgiving in just a few short weeks. In this month’s council update, I will continue the “meet your council” section, by introducing two additional council members. I also have five items that I wanted to highlight for you.
- Revised Sunday worship schedule: Nine weeks from now is January 6, 2019, the start of our Revised Sunday worship schedule. As the staff continues to prepare for this big change, I think I am most excited about the opportunity to participate in Resurrection Hour. The new Weekly has a link to learn more about each of the Resurrection Hour offerings, as well as sign up for them. Whether you are already attending one of these classes or will be a new participant, we want everyone to sign up in order to get a good count.
- Finance: For the four months ending October 2018, we continue to be in good financial condition. Total income is essentially flat to budget, and total expenses are $6,500 under budget (2%), meaning that our overall financials are approximately $7,000 favorable to budget. Thanks be to God.
- Second music person: During our October meeting, the Council unanimously approved the hiring of a second music person. This was done in direct response to the Worship and Music survey that was conducted earlier this year, and the funds for this are included in the budget. This second music person will be focused on praise worship and will work directly under Helen’s leadership.
- Leadership Roundtable: On October 16th, 25 leaders (staff, council members and ministry leaders) gathered for the “leadership roundtable”. During this meeting, we reviewed and provided feedback on the starting point for the next Long-Range Plan, brainstormed ways our ministries could support the next Long-Range Plan and started calendar planning for the first half of 2019. Thanks to the participants for their dedicated leadership.
- Weekly – Have you seen the new Weekly? Last week marks the start of the new format, which has a lot more information than the previous weeklies. Reading the new Weekly helped me to read people’s faith stories and learn more about what is going on at the congregation. You can find links to sign ups for Thanksgiving dinner at LCR, Resurrection Hour classes, and much more. I think it is great, and hope that you will too!
Meet Your Council Members
Gail Kinney – At Large Member
Chuck and I have been members of LCR for approximately 11 years. I stepped in to fill Chuck’s term on Council in June, when he became chair of the Finance Committee. We have lived in Roswell (in the same house, no less) since relocating from Michigan in 1996. In addition to my service to LCR as a Council member, I enjoy singing on the Praise Team and participating as a communion assistant. We are blessed to be able to worship with our daughters, Kristen Shore and Laura Rowe, our grandson, Alec Shore, my dear mother, Betty Diesing (as her health permits), and our LCR family!
Sara Nelson – Youth Representative
I have been attending LCR for the last six years with my family. I am a senior at Pope High School but, this is my second year at KSU through the state’s Dual Enrollment program. I will be attending KSU for the next two years. At church, I typically attend the traditional service. I participate as an assisting minister and work on the sound board. I am also part of the Joyful Ringers hand bell choir. Alongside council, I am also a member of the Worship and Music team. Outside of church, I am typically studying, reading, or training for fencing.